Saturday, August 1, 2015

Show and Tell, and The End of a Wonderful Experience


Saturday morning, I quickly whipped together the blue that my one print was missing(because the blue had dried faster than the green with the evaporating water), and printed it.  Besides the string of the balloon, my work was almost finished!  I couldn't believe it!

Our final discussion revolved around properly signing and numbering prints.  I finally understood what I was seeing in galleries.  I had always wondered what the different letters and numbers had meant on prints.  I signed and numbered my prints in pencil and my sunflowers seemed complete.   Eileen had borrowed some colored pencils from the drawing class and I was lucky enough to get to borrow them to finish the curly string coming off my balloons.  Although we all agreed that Prismacolors would make a huge difference in quality, I was eager to finish my pieces.  Eileen began hanging up the Chipboard pieces as Judy and I finished our final touches.  

Here are the wonderful works made by my classmates in Eileen Foti's Printmaking class.



During our final lunch together, we spoke about where to get printmaking supplies.  I love how so many of the tools used are recycled.  The chipboard pieces could be taken from cereal boxes, the weights could be procured from a local trophy shop, and plexi glasses could even be gathered from a local frame shop's scraps.  Not only could each print be benefited from the use of recycled materials, but the community could also be involved.  Eileen also shared with us how to make your own transfer paper using iron oxide, that could be used over and over again throughout the year. 

Soon, we headed back to the studio to prepare for our presentations of our week at aTi.  The afternoon was reserved for each artist at aTi to share about their work and experience.  Participants had taken workshops in printmaking, oil painting, drawing nature, kinetic sculpture, digital photography, and poetry and we were fortunate enough to hear their testimonials regarding their work and time at aTi.  I took pictures like a madwoman, and even wrote down a note regarding Kit Sailer's(the Oil Painting instructor) idea of determining the trite, traditional, and innovative examples of a topic.  I was so impressed to see what both general education teachers as well as my fellow art teachers had accomplished and created.  

Here are some of the amazing works my fellow aTi participants created over the course of our week of art! 



Here are a couple very neat videos of my first kinetic sculpture concert.






 
Eileen Foti demonstrating her brayer rolling technique
My presentation of the work I completed during my week at Ati



Here is the collection of work I completed this week!  I look forward to giving one of the Noah images to my sister in law as a gift!



 I am very grateful for the experience aTi has offered me to be a part of such a wonderful community of educators and artists this week.  I have learned so much both inside my workshop and out, met wonderful educators and friends, and I cannot express how much this experience will impact each one of my classes next year.  I feel excited about the next year beginning with new inspiration for lessons and techniques to share with my students. 

Thank you to aTi for making this experience possible, and thank you to each teacher involved, as I have learned from all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment